In preparation for Mother’s Day, we’ve scoured the globe for the very best ways to treat your mum – with (a lot of) help from Lola’s A Cake Journey Around the World.
This is a brilliantly indulgent gluten-free recipe inspired by two of our favourite ingredients – coffee and chocolate. South America really knows how to create some of the best in the world, so we thought why not combine the two ingredients to create this decadent cake. To up the coffee intensity, serve with a rich shot of espresso and enjoy.
FOR THE CAKE
300g dark chocolate (we like to use a combination of 50% and 70% cocoa solids), chopped
30 ml strong fresh espresso
2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
6 eggs, separated
100g caster sugar
300g ground almonds
Unsweetened cocoa powder or icing sugar, to decorate
23cm round loose-bottom or springform cake pan, greased and lined with baking parchment
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) Gas 3.
- Place the chocolate, butter, espresso and espresso powder into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water and gently melt, stirring occasionally. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Once melted, set aside until needed.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and, either by hand or with a hand-held electric whisk, beat together until thick and pale, about 3 minutes with a handheld electric whisk.
- Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg and sugar mixture using a metal spoon or rubber, then fold in the ground almonds. In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold the egg whites into the cake mixture and transfer to the prepared cake pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 35–40 minutes or until risen and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out almost clean. (You can under-bake this cake by 5 minutes to create more of a pudding texture if you prefer.)
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing and carefully placing on a serving plate. Dust lightly with cocoa powder or icing sugar before serving.
Lola’s A Cake Journey Around the World, £12.91